Common Sense Advice And Uncommon Legal Results

Skilled Defense Against PAGA And Class Action Claims

California employers must maintain strong defenses against all types of labor and employment claims, including class action and Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) claims. Duggan McHugh Law Corporation is a strong ally for businesses and other employers in Sacramento and throughout California. We can help you create effective protocols that limit the chance of class action and PAGA claims from impacting your business. When such claims do arise, our lawyers can help you pursue a cost-effective outcome.

PAGA Claim Defense

Under the California Labor Code Private Attorneys General Act of 2004 (commonly known as PAGA), employees may file Labor Code violation claims against their employers, effectively acting as agents of a labor law enforcement agency.

Why are PAGA claims attractive to aggrieved employees? They get to keep 25% of the civil penalties incurred in such a claim, while the remaining 75% goes to the state. PAGA claims are difficult to defend for a number of reasons, including:

  • They do not carry the certification requirements of class action claims
  • They cannot be resolved through arbitration
  • They cannot be waived

If your business or organization faces a PAGA claim, it is important to seek experienced legal counsel as soon as possible. Our attorneys have extensive experience defending against labor and employment claims and can provide you with the skilled representation you need.

Class Action Employment Suits

A class action suit can be brought against an employer on behalf of numerous employees, making the potential total damages extremely difficult to bear. Class action claims may allege misclassification, break time and vacation violations, unpaid overtime and other employment violations. The process of initiating a class action claim is very different from that of an individual claim. If your business faces a class action lawsuit, you can greatly benefit from enlisting the services of attorneys familiar with the nuances of this type of lawsuit.

Get The Strong Legal Defense You Need

PAGA and class action claims can put your business at risk. We are here to resolve your employment disputes in the most cost-effective manner possible. To arrange a consultation with an experienced Sacramento employment litigation attorney, contact our law offices online or by telephone at 916-550-5309.