Duggan Law Corporation is proud to announce that Laura McHugh has joined the firm as a shareholder. Laura brings more than 22 years of experience defending and counseling employers of all sizes in labor and employment law matters.
With extensive experience in individual and class action litigation, Laura has tried and arbitrated numerous cases, and argued before the California Supreme Court and Third District Court of Appeal in cases that resulted in precedent-setting decisions. In 2017 and 2018, she was recognized by Lawyers of Distinction as being within the top 10 percent of labor and employment lawyers in the country, based on peer and client reviews. In 2017 she received recognition by the Sacramento Business Journal as Best of the Bar. Before joining Duggan Law Corporation, Laura co-founded a successful management labor and employment law firm where she practiced for over 18 years.
As part of the Duggan team, Laura will continue to offer businesses skilled representation in labor and employment law matters such as:
- Litigation and class action defense
- Advice and counsel on every day workplace issues
- Employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation
- Wrongful termination, discipline and discharge
- State and federal leaves of absence, including FMLA/CFRA family leave
- FEHA and ADA disability and reasonable accommodation
- Wage and hour compliance
- Labor Commissioner claims
- DOL audits
- Public works and prevailing wages
- Trade secrets and unfair competition
- Employee classification
- Employee handbooks and workplace policies
- Employment, arbitration, severance and confidentiality agreements
- Workplace safety, including OSHA and workplace violence issues
- Traditional labor management matters including grievance resolution, labor arbitrations and unfair labor practices
During law school, Laura served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Jerome Smith of the California Court of Appeal in San Francisco. She graduated from Santa Clara University School of Law, where she served as editor of the Santa Clara Law Review. She earned her B.A. magna cum laude from UC Santa Barbara.
Before practicing law, Laura worked in corporate human resources for a large bank in Los Angeles. During her free time, she enjoys her family, her dogs, serving as a founding member of WomenUp, light surfing, and an occasional hack at the golf ball.
Based in Sacramento, Duggan Law Corporation provides personal, results-focused counsel to Northern California businesses.